Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Rock the Block 5k

Drum roll please……I am officially half way through my race challenge…..YAY!! If I am being honest, I didn’t think I would actually stick with this challenge. I hate to admit that I give up on things from time to time but I do, so to actually stick this out is a pleasant surprise.

I started the long weekend with my 19th race, Rock the Block 5k benefitting the Jim Utley Foundation. The JUF is a non-profit dedicated to rewarding youth for choosing to live drug free, getting good grades, doing community service and participating in healthy living activities. To find out more about the foundation visit www.donteventryit.org

Just say NO to drugs kiddos, crack is whack!

Traditional bib picture
The race was located in Plano at the Oak Point Nature Preserve. Anyone ever been out there? I don’t go to Plano often…it’s sort of out of my happy bubble in the Lakewood/Casa Linda/Uptown/Deep Ellum area ….so I had never been. The trail was pretty awesome though…..parts of it reminded me of running around Town Lake in Austin. I would definitely run the trail again when a change in scenery is needed.

You had the choice of running a 5k or a 10k, I chose the 5k. I am not sure why I chose the 5k but I am glad that I did. It was crazy muggy Saturday morning and I was simply just tired. My official race time was 34:17, placed 10th in my age division. I just can’t seem to break that 34 minute time on my 5k. Definitely need to work on speed and well hills, dang hills!

Stretch!
During my last mile I saw this guy run past me juggling pins and running barefoot. I get the running barefoot thing but juggling, so odd. I can barely run and hold my phone, I couldn’t imagine juggling anything!!

After the race I met Lindsey in Richardson for some breakfast (not tacos!) and a mimosa, nom nom nom!


20 more races to go!

Kristin 

No comments:

Post a Comment