Monday, May 19, 2014

Disco 10k

‘Cause trash disco is seventies cool…. do the hustle!

Sunday was a fun race day! I participated in the Disco 5k and 10K with a lot of out of sight and groovy people! This was just a hands down fun race. The costumes were hilarious and creative! There was one guy who dressed up as a disco ball, yes a disco ball! I hate that I didn’t snap a picture of him. There were also a lot of people wearing leotards, like Jane Fonda leotards. I won’t comment further on that!

Sunday was a great day for a 6.2 mile run. The weather was great, slightly overcast that morning but thankfully it wasn’t blazing hot. You had the choice of running a 5k or a 10k, I chose the 10k. The course was a bit boring; it was Fair Park after all so not a ton of scenery unless you enjoy looking at parking lots. The 10k course was an out and back loop that you repeated, snooze! I can’t complain too much, this was my fastest 10k this year; I use the word fast loosely. My official time was 1:12:43 so roughly a 12 minute mile. I am still slow but I ran the whole thing so I am proud! I even scored some new hardware!

After the race I walked through all of the booths before deciding to leave. On my way home I ran over to my favorite place, the Greenspot and grabbed a taco and a diet coke. Breakfast of champions! After breakfast I kicked off my bright yellows and took a nice long nap with the pups. I don’t hate it!

On a serious note.....

The Disco 5k and 10k benefits a phenomenal organization, Taylor’s Gift.  This organization is very close to my heart, not because I knew Taylor but for what they promote and encourage others to do, give life. I remember hearing the story of Taylor Storch on the news when her accident first happened. Taylor was a young vibrant teenager on vacation in Colorado with her family when a tragic skiing accident took her life. After being told Taylor would not survive, her parents made the decision to give the gift of life through organ donation. Taylor saved many lives with her selfless gift.

My dad use to say, if it works, you can use it. I share that same philosophy. My dad was a donor at the time of his death and although they could not actually use his organs for someone in immediate need, they were able to use in research. Like many of us, I would love to live in a world without disease and I believe that his gift has and will continue to help researchers move one step closer to finding a cure for diabetes and related illnesses.  

To find out more about Taylor, becoming a donor or to support Taylor’s Gift, please visit their website www.taylorsgift.org. They have some pretty cute tees for purchase, I got one!

One more race down, 21 more races to go!!! 
Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment